Your Child Benefit Entitlements
Child Benefit is payable to the parents or guardians of all children under 16 or under 18 if the child is in full-time education, training, or has a disability.
As of January 2017 Child Benefit is €140 per month.
You must apply within 12 months of:
● The birth of your child
● The month your child became a family member.
● The month your family moved to Ireland.
● If this is your first Child Benefit claim, the Department will send a partially completed claim form for you to sign including more information about how to claim online. You will also receive a PPS number for your baby.
● EU and Swiss citizens are entitled to Child Benefit in Ireland, and this is the case if the individual becomes unemployed and claims Jobseeker’s Benefit.
● Non-EU citizens must be habitually resident in Ireland to claim Child Benefit. If you are legally working you may be entitled if your child is also living in Ireland.
● Citizens covered by EU and EEA regulations need to confirm they are working in Ireland on a quarterly basis. Non-EU citizens are also required to do so.
● If you give birth to twins you are entitled to 1.5 times the monthly Child Benefit rate. If there are more than 3 children involved the benefit is double the monthly rate.
Back to Child Benefit Category