Here are some top tips for baby-proofing your home and keeping your little family safe. It might seem overly cautious, but it’s always best to take all the preventative steps you can to ensure accidents don’t happen.
- Kitchen safety - keep your baby in a highchair when you’re cooking. Keep pot handles facing inwards and cover your stove burners.
- Secure all tablecloths to the table to prevent your baby pulling at them.
- Keep your balcony doors locked at all times and make sure no objects could be used as a step. Never let your child be alone on a balcony.
- Keep sockets covered with a protective cover. Socket Covers can be purchased on Irish website called www.BabySafety.ie
- Don’t leave long cords dangling for your baby to grab - wrap them short and keep them as secure using Cord Wind Ups
- Safety stair gates are really important - on the top and bottom of the stairs.
- Keep objects like coins, nail scissors and medicines safely stored away.
- Store alcohol, weed killer, washing powders, tools, medicines and cosmetics far out of baby’s reach.
- Don’t use fridge magnets, and put a safety latch on your refrigerator.
- Keep your baby’s cot away from blind cords or curtains, and tie any low hanging cords up.
- Cover sharp edges with foam rubber, or use blankets and pillows where you can.
- If you have older children, keep their toys separate from the baby’s toys.
- Childproof all windows with window locks, even on the bottom floor, and don’t place cots or furniture beside open windows.
- Keep a fire extinguisher near the kitchen and fireplaces.
- Install smoke detectors on every floor of the home as well as the kitchen.
- Keep lighters and matches away from children
- Keep all fireplaces covered with a fireguard.
For all your baby proofing and home safety products we recommend you visit www.BabySafety.ie
Back to Post Pregnancy Category